Friday, July 13, 2007

Remission..... & Parasites???

Today started early with a 0730 surgery appointment. We were up at 0600 to get Florence ready for transport. We were in pre-op by 0620 and headed into the surgical ward at 0720. As Florence went into surgery Kris (RN for 5C) came by to tell me that Florence’s 5C room was needed for another patient so I had to go down to clear out our belongings. Now we came with everything in 2 cases but now I filled 3 cases, a daypack, plastic tub, and still had a duck, radio, and 2 blankets that I couldn’t get into anything. Boy, what you manage to collect in a month while on vacation. This always seems to happen.

After clearing the room I went to the waiting room until the surgeon arrived. He told me the surgery went very well and they were able to biopsy some lung sections with multiple nodes contained in them for pathology to analyze. Flowing surgery, Florence was delayed getting into her ICU room arriving by 1500 (3pm) with O2, IV pole, PCA unit, chest tube, and arterial line in place. She had already made friends with the nursing staff by the time I was asked in. Go figure…..

About 1700 (5pm) the medical team (BMT) came to Florence’s room and told her that Wednesday’s bone marrow test show no Leukemia (complete remission). The lung samples are being looked at and cultured but appear to be an infection. Dr. K said with a smile, ‘maybe a parasite you haven’t had that yet’. Florence rolled her eyes and smiled. Monday we will discuss consolidation chemo that I think Dr. K said might start the next Monday.

So tomorrow should see Florence with her tubes removed and possibly back in the BMT unit. By the way, don’t call the old room number anymore because we are not there. We are not sure where we will be tomorrow but the nurses on 5C all expressed they wanted Florence back but they are currently full, but then who knows.

For me, tonight has me in the sleeping room on 5C. Florence’s nurses were good enough to secure it for me to get a good nights sleep. Thank you to them.

Plans are still to be back home Monday. I will keep you all informed.

Take care and thank you for all the support……
Larry

PS.
Stats from last nights labs…
White Cells 3000 (4500 - 11000)
Neutrophil 1.320 (1.8 – 7.7) **
Red Cells 3.48 (4 - 5.2)
Platelets 145 (150 - 400)
No Blood transfusions since July 7
No Platelet transfusions since June 29
** these are the ones we are waiting for, a sub-group of white cells that attack bacteria, etc.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Florence and Larry:

What a team you two are! Good work! So glad yesterday's procedure is done and congratulations on the bone marrow results. Florence, my friend, your inner strength is truly inspiring!

Love, Jeanne

Anonymous said...

WOW! what great news! we don't really now how to express how happy and relieved we are , just want you two to know how much you are loved, you have been in our thoughts and prayers continually!
See you back in Albany real soon!
Caputo,s

Audrey said...

Remission! Remission! We love remission! It's such a beautiful word.

Now about those parasites...that's the last time I let you travel to Papua New Guinea to eat the "delicacies." Flojo, you kick whatever happens to be growing in those lungs OUT. Send it a mental eviction notice. (I did this when I was 9 days overdue with Elijah, and by golly I went into labor that night.)

Good vibage coming your way, always,
Audrey

Anonymous said...

Great news! Hope you both can take a sigh of relief and enjoy the weekend a little more than the entire last month. Take care! I have a good portion of the town of Yreka rooting for you. Luv, Jess

Anonymous said...

Do I understand correctly?! You are in complete remission??!! I can't wait to give the praise report to the prayer chains you are on here in Florence. We are so happy for you.
We love you and will continue to pray for you,
Cindy and Lee