Friday, July 6, 2007

Day 32 and More Procedures

So how did last night go??? Well the test infusion of the new drug (Amphotericin B Lipid Complex) went well so the 4 hour infusion was started. About 1/2 hour into it I noticed Florence scratching. When asked if she itched she said yes so we called the nurse who went to get some additional Benedryhl. That took care of that only to have Florence start complaining 5 minutes later that the IV felt like it was running in ice water (at least she complained this time).

We called the nurse again and when she heard the symptom she went to get some Demerol. That took only seconds and by the time she got back, Florence was shivering from head to toe. An IV dose of the Demerol caused her to warm up partially in about 5 minutes and a second 12.5 mg. dose eradicated the shivers. (For those medic types - Drug induced shivers use Demerol - I have no explanation... it worked and I will have to ask why). Both of these side-effects are common with this drug so tonight Florence got pre-medicated with Benedryhl, Demerol, & Tylenol. Oh yes, the Tylenol is for the fever the drug sometime causes. Say 103.7F fever it can cause. I thought this drug was suppose to stop the fevers???? So far tonight the drug is about in and no shivering, no iching. Lets hope it stops the fevers.

The Medical Team came in this morning and the Doc was pleased to see Florence smile at him after the night he heard she had. She continues to tease him and I think he enjoys it.

Anyway, they consulted with the ENT and Pulmonary Docs and everyone is still concerned about the lung and sinus films. They want to be proactive if they can so this afternoon it was off for a Bronchoscopy to look into her lungs then a sinus swabbing (Endoscopy). Florence has decided she doesn't like Bronchoscopies. This included a lavage of a portion of her lung. They then collect the solution and will culture it to see if anything grows. Gave drugs so she wouldn't remember.. didn't work. Both the lung and sinus looked good and neither doc felt biopsy was needed. The ENT doc said her nasal passages are pristine.

Steve and Ron stopped in today while on a ride. I think they set off every car alarm in the garage.....cool.....

It is 2330 so I should get ready to hit the sack.......

Stats..........
Current blood levels for July 6: (norms)
White Cells 800 (4500 - 11000)
Red Cells 3.9 (4 - 5.2)
Platelets 120 (150 - 400)
No Blood transfusions since June 28
No Platelet transfusions since June 29

Prayers and good thoughts still neeed....
Larry

5 comments:

Audrey said...

Oh Flojo, you poor thing! All those tests and procedures...a lesser woman would not be smiling and joking with her doctors after a night like that. I'm so glad to hear the lung and sinus results were good. And I'm so happy to see your blood levels rising to near normal for reds and platelets. Now let's get on those whites--happy, dancing, working white cells want to multiply!

Little side story for ya: So Kevin makes a loaf of bread in the breadmaker he recently got, letting me pick out the recipe. Well, I smell something burning and the whole thing is smoking. "Kev, your bread is on fire!" I tell him. He schleps the thing outside, and an hour later the dog sneaks out there and eats 1 pound of doughy bread. We didn't realize until later that bread dough is toxic to dogs. Man, did Belle stink! And she acted downright drunk. Yeah, that would be KEVIN'S dog, not mine. She's fine, except that she fell while drunk on the ethanol mixture it made in her body, so now she's totally limping. What a dog.

I hope you find more opportunities to smile today. Love you!

Audrey

Anonymous said...

Florence, I'm so thankful Larry is right there to alert the nurses when you get symptoms they need to address ASAP. We're continuing to pray.

I loved Audrey's story, as a dog lover with my own stories. But here's a little humor for you.

Carolyn

"Four Worms"
A Sunday Sermon!

A minister decided that a visual demonstration would add emphasis to his Sunday sermon.

Four worms were placed into four separate jars.

The first worm was put into a container of alcohol.
The second worm was put into a container of cigarette smoke.
The third worm was put into a container of chocolate syrup.
The fourth worm was put into a container of good clean soil.

At the conclusion of the sermon, the Minister reported the following results:
The first worm in alcohol -
Dead.
The second worm in cigarette smoke -
Dead.
Third worm in chocolate syrup –
Dead
Fourth worm in good clean soil -
Alive.
So the Minister asked the congregation –"What can you learn from this demonstration?"

An old lady sitting in the back quickly raised her hand and said, "As long as you drink,
smoke and eat chocolate, you won't have worms!"

Anonymous said...

We hope you are doing better today. All the procedures you are dealing with lately I am sure are a pain and frustrating. We will try to make another trip up soon, maybe during the week if you are up to it. Just know you are always in our hearts and prayers. We are wearing our green Leukemia arm bands for you Florence! Hugs to you.
The Bradner Family

Anonymous said...

Since it seems we are sharing funny stories and jokes...here's one for you. Wanna hear a dirty joke??? ..........3 pigs fell in the mud. Ha;) Luv ya, hope you are feeling better, Jess

Wanda said...

I bet Ron and Steve setting off the alarms was pretty cool...did you go off for a ride?
I'm hoping to get up there this week sometime, to at least drive Larry crazy for a few minutes, since he doesn't have to be my boss anymore = p
Know that you and Florence and getting all my good energy everyday.

Love you both
Wanda