Got to the airport at 9pm and Allan and his crew met us. Got to Allan's about 10ish, showered, and now should be in bed.
Flights were good and smooth..... write again soon...
Love you
Larry
This is my first word from Larry who is now in Tanzania, Africa with my brother Paul! Tanzania is 11 hours ahead of us so he sent this email to me at 12:21am (November 4th) his time. So when I go to bed tonight he's just getting up tomorrow morning and when I get up he's calling it a day! (I think I got that correct! hahaha I know they are 11 hours ahead though.)
I think I've mentioned before that my brother has been to Africa 8 times now and almost every time has spent it with Allan, a guide he met in 1996 during his first trip to Tanzania to climb Kilimanjaro. In 1996 Allan worked as a guide for Mountain Madness - a guide company based out of Seattle. At that time the company was owned by Scott Fischer, you may have heard about the tragic deaths of Scott and others on an Everest Climb in the late 90's. Allan was not with Mountain Madness at the time of the accident, he had started his own guide company by then. My brother Paul helps set up Allan's Safari's for people here in the U.S. Allan's company is named African Outdoor Expeditions, Ltd.
http://www.kiliman.com/
is their website.
You can see my brother's photo on the home page of their site under "About Our Site."
Here are a couple of photos of Allan from when he's here visiting us.

December 2006
Allan, Me and Paul

May 2007
Paul and Trent talking photography and Allan checking out "Google Earth."

2008 - Paul took this photo of Allan. They had just summited the mountain in the background the morning before it blew!
Hopefully Larry will send me a few photos while he's there if he can. Some of the things on his itinerary are:
Camping at Tarangire Park
Staying at a lodge called Sopa Lodge in the Ngorongoro Crater
Camping at Empakaai Crater
Flying to the island of Zanzabar to stay in Stone Town and on the East Coast. While there they will take a Spice Tour and tour of Stone Town.
Camping on the Maasai Steppe
Plus staying at Allan's new home and seeing his previous home which he now calls Base Camp. He uses his old home as a base camp for clients who come to climb Kilimanjaro. Larry will be able to see Mt. Kilimanjaro and Mt. Meru from where he's staying (Allan's new home). He's going to come home with some awesome photos, I hope he took enough cards for his digital camera!
Here are some photos of Allan's new home, it's not quite finished yet, but livable. Allan sent these to us before Larry left for his trip. This is where Larry and Paul are staying.

November 1, 2009

These are from the outside, Summer 2008.
Summer 2008
Below are photos of the Base Camp home. Right now Allan has a group of Dentists from the Pacific Northwest that are there with mobile dentistry equipment to set up a clinic in a nearby village.

November 1, 2009



I'll keep you posted!
Florence

No comments:
Post a Comment