Spring is upon us! The trees are leafing out and green grass is coming back to what's left of my meadow out at NW Stone Ridge Ave.
House site in 2012. The tall Fir in the background middle and slightly to the right, is also in the second photo below.
We should have had a few more picnics in that beautiful meadow!
So here are some of the latest photos of the beautiful house that Dennis Clark is building us!
End of January - Larry and I in the Living Room, he was working on some of the wiring.
Beginning of February - Insulation going in. This is the guest room
Den
Utility room
I requested an eco-friendly insulation
Ceilings are dry-walled
Looking into the kitchen from the dining room
Bedroom (on a snowy day)
All the walls are dry-walled and prepped for texture
This is Don applying the hand texture to the walls in the master bedroom. He did 14 rooms in our house in 3 days. We got to talking one day and I realized that he did plastering for us on the Geary St. house, once in 1985 and again in 1990. I brought photos I had taken back then to show him. He got a laugh at how young he and all his co-workers looked. He said that hand textured plaster is a dying art, not too many do it anymore. It's all sprayed on now a days.
Guest room textured
Front door is installed. This is a little video of the first time I went through the front door into our house...
Siding going up on the outside
We saw this siding pattern in Portland on a Street of Dreams home, I love it. Also, we had Dennis turn the siding boards over so that siding would be smooth instead of having the wood grain pattern.
All sided! This is the front of the house, which doesn't face Stone Ridge Ave. We have a driveway that comes up from the right side of the house (garage side) and wraps around the front of the house and goes out the left side, back out to the street. When looking at this view; the master bedroom is on the left, then the office, front door, den, utility/mud room then the garage. Larry's shop is to the right and out of the photo.
Casey's friend Matt Pearce is an electrician in Portland and he came down to see how Larry was doing on wiring the shop.
Matt taking a closer look at Larry's work
Gutter shot!
Time out for an "artsy shot."
The sketchbook where I have each room of the house listed with their design elements.
Border that will be on one wall in the den up next to the ceiling. It's 21" tall.
I found after searching the internet for "paint colors Frank Lloyd Wright used" this company out of Canada who offers colors from the Hollyhock House in So. California. Which really excited me because I want to call my house "Hollyhock Northwest" because of my love of Hollyhocks. Which happens to be one of my paternal grandmother's favorites too. As a side note on Hollyhocks, I've been growing them in my backyard here on Geary for many years. They never grew as high as they did the summer Casey passed away. I saved one of the stalks that year from one that was about 10+ feet tall. I plan on painting it with a clear sealer and bringing it indoors into my studio when we move.
We are using Miller Paint, so I matched the Hollyhock collection with their paints. I used 4 of these colors in our house. The ceilings down to the picture rail throughout the house are the first color; Aline's Dream (daughter of the Hollyhock House owner Emily Barnsdall), the second color I used in the master bathroom; Romanza Blue, the third color I used on almost all the walls up to the picture rail; Sugar Top, and the fourth color I used in the den; Barnsdall Green. Larry stopped me at the "Hollyhock Pink" hahhahaha
Getting one of the colors just the right shade... I went with the lightest one here.
Living room getting the first coats of paint. The whole interior of the house is now primed and painted its first coat of colors. After all the trim is up and cabinets are in, Rich will be back to paint the final coat.
One day when I took my friends Ione and Wayne out to see the house, Wayne suggested that I have a shelf built under this side kitchen window. I asked Dennis, and he built me one! I call it my pie cooling shelf!
Window with "pie cooling shelf."
Selfie from the "pie shelf."
End of March: Dennis started installing 22 beautiful Hemlock interior doors! These two are on the closet in the guest room.
Same room, pocket door leading into the bathroom is installed and finishing trim is up! Phewwww, whenever I saw the painted walls as they were in the above photo I felt like the house had been in a flood and the brown was the water line! Now with the picture rail trim up, I don't think it looks like that.
This picture is taken from the shower looking back into the guest room.
Red oak hardwood flooring delivered and sitting in house for a few days to get acclimated before installing.
Dining room finished. Sorry I cut their heads off, but Larry is talking with Harold in this photo. Again a happy accident that Dennis uses Harold as his flooring installer. Harold has been refinishing the pecan floors in our Geary St. house since we moved in. The first time was in 1987 when we had carpet removed from the dining room and the hall. Over the years he's been back to refinished both bedrooms and then when we pulled the carpet up out of the living room. Another story to tell you... In 1997 we had our bedroom and Casey's bedroom refinished. Larry and I had to run an errand and told Casey NOT to go into his room, that the floor was still wet. WELL :-) he just had to get the phone number of a girl (that was on a sticky note) off the bookshelf in his room. So he went out into the garage, got a long piece of skinny wood trim, put a wad of double stick tape on the end of it and went to the door of his room and was able to reach the sticky note with the end of the stick! As he pulled the stick back out of his room the note fell to the floor! So he took two steps into his room to retrieve the note and left two shoe toe prints in the floor. Man, I bet he was nervous about us coming home and having to tell us. Larry and I both shook our heads in disbelief when he told us. We called Harold to tell him what had happened and he said, "don't worry, I can fix it." If you get floor level and at the right angle with the sun shining just right, you can just barely see the tread mark of Casey's shoe. I need to try and get a photo of that before we move. :-)
Larry looking at the floor in the master bedroom.
Welcome to Studio Meringue!!!
Swinging door that leads into the Utility/Mud room
Swinging door closed, guest bath on left, pantry with pocket door on right.
Wow, that is a long post. But yahoo! We are up to date!! So at the present time we are working on picking exterior colors, rock for the fireplace, tile for the kitchen back splash, carpet choice for guest room, and on and on..... Sure glad we are only doing this once in our lives... :-)
Best wishes, wonderful Spring to all my friends, thanks for reading.
Love,
Love,
flojo
































No comments:
Post a Comment