
It seems I start every trip to the cabin by taking photos of valley clouds.


We stopped in Crescent Junction to buy ice and I saw this moth flopping around on the hot pavement. Poor little guy....

We stopped to by a bag of ice for the homemade Ice Cream that Larry's going to make!

At the cabin getting a kiss from Tussy and helping Frank put out all the food for the wildlife who will visit us.

Larry with a Hummingbird visitor. We thought we'd see if they would come to the feeder with someone holding it.

In the evening we had 4 deer visit the salt block.
The clouds rolled in and we had an fantastic Thunder storm. We sat on the deck and listened and I caught some of the rolling thunder sounds on the video below....

The next morning Larry and I made stuffed french toast for everyone for breakfast, yum!

After Breakfast there was more sitting on the deck time sipping hot cocoa!

And photo taking time...


My view from creekside...

We had more than 7 hummingbirds flying around this feeder at one time, off and on during the day.
Larry and I caught some good photos of these little birds.... If you click on the photo you'll see a close up.


After lunch, Larry, Frank and I drove up Odell Butte to see if we could get to the Fire Outlook at the top. The drive was 4 1/2 miles up the butte and then another 30+ minute walk up to the top (which felt like straight up a few times). :-)

Our elevation when we got out of the truck to climb the rest of the way was 6590'

I thought this was funny, until Larry said everyone that works up there has their own key to get in... at first I thought that each lock had to be opened by each person going up there... duhhhhh

We brought a fresh watermelon to give to the Forest Service worker staying in the lookout.

There it stands! 30 feet off the ground, ground that is already 7057' UP!


YIKES This is high up!! So much for my fear of heights! I hugged that building so tight that I cleaned the dust off of the windows all the way around it up to my shoulder height!!!


Inside we met Darrel and his 10 year old son.

The lightning last night had caused a small fire that Darrel spotted right before we got there. Here he is tracking it and giving the coordinates to the Forest Service. About an hour later a plane carrying smoke jumpers flew by and circled the smoke area. We got there just in time to see the action play out.

Through the window looking inside the lookout. It's about 12'x12'. As I was standing (pressed up against the side!) I could feel the building sway in the wind.... :-0

Oh, Larry's the brave one, standing right next to the railing!


This is a photo I took looking towards Crescent Creek and the cabin. Donna and I devised a plan...I took a white pillowcase with me and when I got up to the lookout I called her on her cell phone to let her know to look up at the lookout from the cabin. I stood up there and waved that pillowcase back and forth and she said she could barely make out movement on the lookout. So that was our fun moment!

A pensive look! My left arm is behind me, and my hand it holding onto the tinie-tiny window ledge and my back is as close as I can get to this building! hahhaha Inside the lookout, Darrel's son was getting a kick out of seeing how I was holding onto all the window casings as I walked around out there....

Time to head back, looks like I'm wasting NO time...hahha

Downhill all the way!

The road looks like it just falls off the edge of the earth up there.
Enjoy!
Florence

No comments:
Post a Comment