Just some random things I wanted to share.....
I attended another cooking class at Carl's Cuisine in Salem last month. Carl made 4 Mexican pastries. Empanadas De Calabasa (Pumpkin), Empanadas De Ate Y Queso (Quince Paste and Cheese), Gallettas De Pina (Pineapple), and Polvorones (Cinnamon Anise Cookies). Each one was FANTASTIC!
The impetus of his choice of Mexican pastries this class was a wonderful story, I'll share it in part. Carl was staying in So. California for a couple of months this year undergoing medical treatment. He went looking for a couple of fish markets he found on Google and both locations were vacant. He decided to stop at a Mexican bakery close to one of the vacant locations to see if they could tell him where it had moved to. He was so delighted in the pastry that he bought there that he made a weekly trip to it over the next couple of months to visit and purchase a pastry, trying the many different kinds made each day. He got to know the owner and his father very well. At the end of his stay in California (and now Cancer free!) he visited the bakery one last time. To his surprise the father had written out a couple of recipes for two of Carl's favorites. Carl asked permission to cook these recipes in class. Carl put his own spin on each and then shared them with us, in class. Carl celebrated 35 years of cooking school this year.
I picked some tomatoes at my brother Paul's house and made a quart of tomato sauce this weekend.
I thought this would be a pretty photo to take, a skinless tomato.
I bought this gadget at Carl's Cuisine last fall after Paul and I had made tomato sauce and struggle with getting it into freezer bags. It works very nicely!
A few weeks ago Larry and I went up past Sweet Home to Riverbend Campground to visit Wayne, Ione and Wayne's sister June. They were taking a little vacation over a weekend. Wayne roasting a Giant marshmallow..
Larry, Ione and June..
Getting my S'More cooking!
In the evening we stoked the campfire!
I played in a Pickleball tournament in Bend this summer. This is a photo of me serving the ball.
My returning a drop shot.
Joyce and I in the Gold medal match.
This is me returning the ball to our opponents.
Joyce and I came back up through the losers bracket to play for the Gold medal. We were the first team to beat our opposing team in all the matches they had played that day, but we lost to them our last game. We got Silver and were elated!
Joyce and I played in the Albany Pickleball tournament two weeks later and won every match to get a Gold medal!
Diane & CoraMay-Bronze Winners, Joyce & I-Gold Winners, Silver Winners
Enough "random" until next time!
Love, flojo




















No comments:
Post a Comment