Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Moonshots

I'll never forget the evening that I saw the moon through a telescope for the first time. Casey set his telescope up on our deck in the backyard and pointed it skyward. I was SO astonished at being able to see it so well, and in real life!!! I was soooo excited and this must have made Casey so tickled. A kid getting to show a parent something so awesome and to be truly excited over it. I just could not believe what I was seeing... it was bright, it was a full moon, and I could actually see craters!

We had a full moon this week and I took my camera outside on the deck to try and take some photos of it. It's not a really expensive camera, it's called a Nikon P7000. Unlike a point and shoot, it does have the availability to be manually set, but unfortunately I have not taken much time to learn how to set a camera manually. I use the automatic setting for most all my photos, using the "micro" setting to get close ups. So on this night I had the bright idea of googling, "What settings should a camera be set at to take photos of the moon?" And it gave me a site with the settings: ISO100, F/11, 1/125 - 1/250. So I dialed all those in on my little camera and this is what I came up with:


Pretty good shot for my camera, a little fuzzy and kind of amber from the atmosphere between here and there....

Then we took Larry's camera outside and took some shots. His camera is a Nikon D5000, MUCH fancier than mine.... With a big zoom lens on it!

Nice bright photo of the moon:


We changed some of the settings and got this photo:


This is the same photo as above, I just cropped it:

Click on this photo to get a good look....
Soooo beautiful!!

Thank you Casey, for showing me things that I might not have really paid attention to otherwise! Thinking of you as I look heavenward!

Love,
Mom

No comments: