Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Today's Thrill

Hello,
Here are my Monday Feb.25th numbers:

White Cells 3000 (4500 - 11000)
Neutrophil 1.66 (1.8 – 7.7)
Red Cells 2.65 (4 - 5.2)
Platelets 70 (150 - 400)

Not much of a change from last week, I'm happy they didn't drop drastically.

Had an appointment with my Doctor this morning and he said, "we're going to remove your catheter today." Yeah! So remember - this is Florence going in for a simple procedure. I laid back and he said, "now this is going to hurt but hopefully it'll be the worst thing that happens to you all day," just to tease me. So he got everything ready and started pulling on the end that hangs outside my chest, and it hurt just like he said. But then..... SNAP it broke off in his hand! It broke off right under the skin so there was nothing to grab onto to pull the tubing out! My Doctor said "In all my years, that is the FIRST time this has ever happened!" Well of course! This is Florence we're talking about the problem child!!! He kept pressure on it and it wasn't bleeding out, but he asked me to cough just to see, and blood came squirting out and ran down my under arm. He told us that he was going to call upstairs to see if the surgeon was available and if so, they would just make an incision and pull the tubing out. So luckily the surgeon was there and they wheeled me upstairs and I had that procedure done with no problems. When the surgeon was showing Larry and I the tubing, he said, "see this tubing just slides through the little cuff" and he pulled on the other end of the tube and it broke off too!! My flesh, that was suppose to adhere to the cuff, did, but it REALLY adhered and somehow the tube wouldn't slide though it anymore......
I was not scared through the whole thing, I have a wonderful Doctor. I'm sorry this happened to him. I did get to squeeze Larry's hand again though, that was nice. :-)
So I'm home now, and I'm not suppose to lay down today until I go to bed tonight. When Larry left for work he kept saying, "don't lay down!!" haha
Love,
Florence

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, that's enough with having problems!!! Here's to healing and keeping up on those numbers coming up! We're keeping our prayers going still! E Martin

Anonymous said...

Florence:my, my, you know how to make those doctors earn their money. No more excitement for awhile. Hurray on not having tubes in you. Here is to healing, good days and spring arriving!!

Allison is doing OK. We have taken her on a few outings.(Seeing the outside world!!!) Yesterday was a hard day for her-lots of pain. Hoping for a good day today.
Love & prayers
Leslie

Audrey said...

Dang, girl! It's like it grew into you or something. Like kudzu! Glad they could pull the weed and the root out. Hope you at least got a sticker and a toy for all your troubles.

Audrey

Anonymous said...

yikes flo, that's quite a story. sorry it turned into such an ordeal but i'm sure you're happy that it's OUT;) take care, spring will be here soon! luv ya, jess